Being able to listen to our intuition is like having a GPS navigate us on unfamiliar highways. It is the inner voice that warns us about danger or tells us it’s okay to trust. It is a built-in best friend that’s always ready to help when we feel insecure, have doubt, or just need direction. It is the voice of the divine communicating with us. As Dr. Wayne Dyer wrote: “If prayer is you talking to God, then intuition is God talking to you.” Being attuned with our intuition is a crucial skill in growing to be an empowered, emotionally balanced, and connected person.
So how can we help our children recognize this voice within them and learn to listen to it?
Children are naturally more intuitive; they just don’t have the vocabulary to describe what they sense. Often, we, as adults, are the ones who unconsciously undermine their connection and cause them to not pay attention to their inner voice. It starts with little things, like telling them what to eat and how much, saving them from a conflict with another child, and constantly telling them what to do and how to do it. Instead, trusting that our children have a working inner compass will empower them to get in touch with their inherited intuition.
Here are a few practical tools we can use with our children to strengthen their intuition:
- Ask empowering questionslike – what do you think you should do about it? What feels right to you? What would you like to do next? These type of questions will give our children the opportunity to ask their inner voice and teacher for advice.
- Get comfortable with silence. Allow silence to exist when you are with your child. We often tend to fill up the space with words, questions, TV, music etc. But learning to be comfortable in silence will help you and your child hear the inner voice better. And as a result, this space won’t feel empty anymore.
- Ask to be guided.Many times all it takes is merely asking. Pause before taking action or making a decision and ask the divine to help you make the best choice and use the right words.
- Notice the signs.It is most likely that our kids won’t hear a real voice with clear sentences telling them what to do (that will freak them out 🙂 ). We might call it a voice, but it is more of a sense. And its expression can come in many ways: a line in a book, a random person saying something, a bird flying through our window, or a simple sense of knowing. Talk to your children about the creative ways our higher-self communicate with us.
- Take care of your body.It presents a great opportunity to remind our children that for the best results, they need to keep their energy strong and clean by eating well and sleeping enough. Caring and listening to our bodies is invaluable for being attuned with intuition. When the body is exhausted, loaded with heavy and/or sugary foods, or achy, it is very hard to sense clearly.
Learning to “hear” your intuition is like awakening to your own superpowers. Enjoy the journey and feel free to post your experiences below!